Adapted from Joan Nathan
Even if you’re not doing a dairy meal, there’s no need to miss out on cheesecake!
This pareve version is so amazing, it’s hard to believe it’s not the real thing!
6 tablespoons unsalted pareve margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
juice of 1 lemon
6 large eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 pound tofutti cream cheese
2 tablespoons flour
1 pound tofutti sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Grease the sides of a 9-inch spring-form pan.
3. Melt the margarine and combine with the graham cracker crumbs. Press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan. Save some crumbs.
4. Combine the egg yolks, cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and flour.
5. Beat very well until light and fluffy.
6. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into cream cheese mixture.
7. Pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle with the remaining graham cracker crumbs.
8. Place filled pan on a sheet pan. Bake 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave cake in the oven 1 additional hour. Then leave the oven door ajar 30 minutes more. Refrigerate cake till thoroughly chilled (or freeze for use another day).